- Oct '18 - Utrecht
BAK Fellowship 2018/2019Proud to announce to be one of the ten Fellows who got a 2018/2019 research position at BAK, basis voor actuele kunst in Utrecht. I am going to develop a curriculum of #CommunityLearnings and developing test sites to enact trainings for the “Not Yet.” #TrainingForTheNotYet
- Sep '17 - 2525 Pennsylvania Ave, Philadelphia
Philadelphia AssembledPhiladelphia Assembled joins art and civic engagement. Shaped by hundreds of collaborators, it tells a story of radical community building and active resistance. Challenging, inspiring, and as big as the city, Philadelphia Assembled asks: how can we collectively shape our futures?
- Apr '17 - Homebaked, Liverpool
'This is not about gentrification’A cooperative bakery in the shadow of Liverpool FC’s stadium is aiming to transform a derelict terrace into affordable homes for the local community. As Liverpool FC’s Anfield stadium gleams in the April sunshine, the abandoned, steel-shuttered houses cowering in its shadow serve as a poignant reminder of the impact developments can have on their host communities.
- Sep '16 - Veem House for Performance Amsterdam
Book launch What's the Use?What's the Use? Constellations of Art, History, and Knowledge (Valiz, Van Abbemuseum, L'Internationale, 2016), is a collection of essays on the 'uses' of art. The starting point of the Reader is that art is an integral part of social, economic, and political processes, and that it is best understood in dialogue with these contexts, rather than as a 'thing in itself'. In their contributions, artists and writers explore the exchange between art, use, knowledge and history; now and in the past.
- Sep '16 - Witte de With Center for Contemporary Art, Rotterdam
ROTTERDAM CULTURAL HISTORIES #9: MANIFESTA 1 REVISITEDThursday 8 September from 20.00 hrs, Rotterdam Cultural Histories #9: Manifesta 1 Revisited will open in the shared space between TENT and Witte de With. This ninth edition revolves around Manifesta 1, the travelling European biennale that had its very first edition in Rotterdam from June to August 1996. Through never before shown archival and video material, this edition of Rotterdam Cultural Histories aims to shed some light on the coming about of the first Manifesta Biennale and the artworks shown.
- Jun '16 - DAMN Magazine
Article in DAMn #58JEANNE VAN HEESWIJK'S FIXINGS
Jeanne van Heeswijk sees herself as a mediator, an intermediary between a situation, a space, a neighbourhood, and the people connected therewith. Encountering and communicating are key concepts in her practice. She only acts once the nuances of the context have been thoroughly determined.
- coming up
- thu. 23 may '19With For About: Art & Democracy
- recent events
- fri. 12 apr '19Let’s Mobilize for a Europe We Want: Voices of New Women
- fri. 15 mar '19ON COMMON[ING] VISIONS __ Meet the Neighbours / QANAT symposium
- sat. 2 mar '19Utrecht for Her: Voices of New Women
- tue. 19 feb '19“On Belongings and the Politics of Relation” Lecture at Harvard University
- sat. 26 jan '19Workshop at E-flux journal and Witte de With Center for Contemporary Art present “Exile”
- thu. 6 dec '18Public lecture at Fashion held in Common
- Apr 9, 2019Repost • @bakbasis BAK, BASIS VOOR | New Women Connectors In the series ‘BAK, basis voor…’, BAK joins forces with other organizations in addressing shared urgencies and developing propositions for being together otherwise. On Friday 12 April 2019, a new gathering of BAK, basis voor New Women Connectors takes place, called: Let’s Mobilize for a Europe We Want: Voices of New Women. During this gathering, migration policies are discussed by and with refugees and migrants, in the context of the upcoming European elections. New Women Connectors believe that in this time of normalization of far-right populism and contemporary fascisms, it is urgent to develop proposals to fight for a Europe respecting human dignity and fundamental rights. Three invited speakers—Voices—share their work through presentations followed by discussions. The Voices are Anila Noor, refugee activist and founder of the New Women Connectors, Marlon Toledo Lacsamana, LGBTQ and migrant activist born and raised in the Philippines, and Reshad Jalali, refugee activist and Policy Officer at the European Council on Refugees and Exiles, Brussels. The gathering takes place at BAK on 12 April 2019 from 14.30-17 hrs, and will be in English. Please register for the event by 7 April 2019 by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This information will be shared with BAK for organizational purposes. This gathering is part of a collaboration between BAK and New Women Connectors in the framework of a series BAK, basis voor… It takes place within the context of a forthcoming project initiated by artist Jeanne van Heeswijk and BAK from September–December 2019. @newwomenconnectors is a platform that strives to connect newcomers and migrants, with a strong focus on women, and to amplify the voices of those who often feel voiceless. Photo: Rob Godfried
- Mar 28, 2019Studio excursion to Papendrecht #storage #workworkworkworkworkwork #worksworksworkworksworksworks
- Mar 21, 2019Exciting things happening in Rotterdam! Getting ready for #WiderPerspectives ‘Wider Perspectives’ has been developed for the Afrikaanderwijk Coöperatie by Furtado Melville @damageplayground at het @gemaalopzuid Wider Perspectives questions what a wall can be. Does the wall offer frames or are they to be broken? Is the wall blank or smeared? Black or white? The wall as a lament. Pillars of the past or carriers of the present? Blockade or building block? Billboard or protest board? With Wider Perspectives, the wall serves as a canvas for a broader perspective on the modern world and people in these times of transformation. Starting from a reinterpretation by @JasonPage from the work On a Besoin the Plus Grandes Perspectives - Wider Perspectives Are Needed Now from 1985 by David Hockney, creators from various disciplines at the Gemaal op Zuid in Rotterdam will look for the limits of the wall for a year and offer broader perspectives on the world today. First in the series: On Façade(s) - as a false element for that which is hidden from the view. By @PaulCournet (OMA*AMO). On view from 6 March to 16 April 2019 #Culturalprogram #gemaalopzuid #Facade #Borders #Resistance #propaganda #testament #mirror
- Mar 8, 2019#internationalwomensday Snap from last week’s BAK Fellow Intensive in Barcelona. Repost from @ethel_baraona • This, today. From @descontroled ~ gracias a @lacolarq @crisgammmboa @ciutatinvisible @bordacoop @coopolis_bcn por una jornada maravillosa con @bakbasis @jeanneworks
- Mar 1, 2019Preparing for Saturday’s gathering @bakbasis with New Women Connectors #repost #BAKutrecht How do you like our new pillows? We are busy preparing a space for a gathering of the New Women Connectors, which takes place this Saturday at BAK. The New Women Connectors gather refugee and migrant women from all backgrounds to learn about and share challenges that women newcomers experience, and how to veer these challenges toward solutions for policy and community forums to act upon effectively. It provides the opportunity to connect and share stories, experiences, and knowledge, in order to explore the ways of women empowerment. This gathering is part of a new series of collaborations between BAK, basis voor actuele kunst and New Women Connectors. The collaboration is called BAK, basis voor New Women Connectors, and takes place in the framework of a forthcoming project initiated by BAK and artist and BAK 2018/2019 Fellow Jeanne van Heeswijk in September-December 2019.
- Feb 18, 2019Jeanneworks.net tells about the people and their labour involved in the production of my works since 1993. First created as part of the exhibition ‘Arbeid’ #labour in Berlin #patato sculpture. The database designed by Maurits de Bruijn gave structure to the website. Since this week it got a huge update and redesign, thanks Maurits! Also I am busy working on a project in BAK, Utrecht (Opening September 2019). Check the website once in a while for new updates #Jeanneworks #Typologies #Capacities #KnittingNetworks